Trailer Manufacturing History of Evans Trailers

Founded in 1919, John Evans started manufacturing log and pole trailers under the name Sumter Trailers. In the 1940s, John Evans expanded the trailer division by building a new plant on Highway 15 South, where the plant is still located.

Also in the 1940’s, John Evans received a patent for an invention that provided sleeping space under a trailer. Marketed as Safety Sleeper, the design gained popularity for it’s practicability and convenience.

This spirit of innovative design guided Evans Trailers throughout the 20th century. In 2002, Evans Trailers became part of the Strick Group in partnership with Strick Trailers and Cheetah Chassis.

Today, Evans Trailers is the Southeast’s leading manufacturer of customer log and flatbed trailers.